Making a complaint

Sometimes things can go wrong in the relationship between school and families. At St. Mary's we hope that this won't happen too often and that, when it does, matters can be resolved without recourse to formal proceedings.


If something has happened that you are not happy with, the first thing to do is speak to your child's class teacher or the head, Mr Harrison. If you still don't think your concerns are being dealt with properly the attached document outlines what might happen next.

School's Complaint Procedure