St Mary’s values are of the forefront of our teaching and are embedded in the ethos of our school. With this in mind, we aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of speaking and listening, reading and writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills.
Pupils at St Mary’s Catholic Primary School will leave year 6:
- Being able to read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self correcting their own errors.
- With a love of books and a desire to read for enjoyment
- Have an interest in words and their meanings while developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Understanding a range of text types, media styles and genres
- Using their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to respectfully articulate their responses both in written form and verbally
For more information including details of our Intent, Implementation and Impact, refer to our English Policy.
Children in Reception and KS1 follow the Phonics Play programme. They have a daily phonic lesson for 20 minutes where the children work through each phonic phase and are assessed at the end of each one. In Year 1 the children complete the Phonics screening check and repeat this in year 2 if needed. Rec use CGP books to consolidate learning covered in phonic sessions.
Usually in the summer term children will complete the Phonics Screening Check. This comprises of 20 real and 20 pseudo (nonsense) words, which the children read individually to a teacher. The test will take approximately 10 minutes per child. Following the Phonics Screening Check, the children’s results are reported to their parents. Children who do not achieve the expected standard will retake the test when they are in Year 2.